Student at Langara College Student at Langara College

Study Permit Process

Top Back to top Langara Global Back to Langara Global

Applying for your Study Permit

Students who are not Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada need a study permit for programs that are longer than six months.

Study permits are issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Before applying for a study permit at a Canadian visa office you will need a Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).

Langara’s DLI number

Langara’s DLI number is O19319074622 (first character is the letter “O”).

Documents Required

You will need these documents, at a minimum, to apply:

  • Valid passport, at least 6 months before expiry
  • Two passport-size photos with your name and date of birth written on the back
  • Letter of Acceptance (LOA)
  • Proof of financial support

You may send your application to a local Visa Application Center (VAC) or apply online.

If the Canadian government refuses your application for a study permit, you may request a refund . You must submit a written request to, attaching a copy of the letter of refusal or an email issued by the Immigration section of a Canadian embassy or consulate office. Requests must be received no later than seven days after the start of the semester.

Clearing Customs Upon Arrival

Carry your original documents with you when travelling – do not pack originals in checked baggage. You should have the following documents:

If you are arriving at YVR, you may choose to enter your information in the Voluntary Compliance Portal (VC Portal) to reduce your wait time. This information is sent directly to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) in order to process and print permits prior to your arrival at YVR airport. To be eligible, YVR must be your first point of entry to Canada, you must have a Letter of Introduction or pre-approved Study Permit application issued by IRCC, and you must submit the information 72 hours prior to arrival.

Major Canadian airports have primary inspection kiosks to confirm your identity and complete an on-screen declaration.  This information can also be submitted in advance using the eDeclaration mobile app.

A Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer will ask you questions about the purpose of your visit and will verify your documents. Answer all questions accurately. After the interview, you will be directed to the Canada Immigration Office. If you are not directed to the Canada Immigration Office, ask about getting your Study Permit processed. An immigration officer will prepare and print your Study Permit. Be patient and cooperative to help the process.

Do not leave the airport or border without your study permit.
Before leaving, verify the information on your study permit is accurate because it is easier to correct any errors before entering Canada. 

Medical Insurance Icon

Medical Insurance

Good health starts with making sure you have up-to-date health insurance. All students are required to have basic health insurance. International students are also required by law to have comprehensive health and accident insurance while staying in BC.

Basic medical insurance includes doctor’s visits, hospital visits, and necessary medical tests or services.

The Medical Services Plan of BC (MSP) is the basic coverage for all residents of BC, including international students. You will qualify for MSP after a waiting period of approximately three months.

Apply for MSP as soon as you arrive in Vancouver. Application forms are available on the MSP site or from the Langara Global office.

The current health fee is $75.00 per month and is subject to change without prior notice.

As an international student in Canada, you must arrange for private medical insurance while you wait for MSP to start. You may choose your own company (minimum $2 million coverage), but Langara recommends GuardMe insurance

The validation code with GuardMe is 4727

Eligible students will have extended health and dental benefits through Langara Students’ Union.

Back to Langara Global Back to Langara Global