Immigration-Support Immigration-Support

Immigration Resources

Top Back to top Langara Global Back to Langara Global

Immigration Resources

Immigration resources on this page are not a legal documents and information may change without notice. Visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the most up-to-date information. 

Applying for an amendment from IRCC

  • Information on eligibility and how to apply for an amendment to your study permit or work permit through IRCC.

Biometrics for students already in Canada

  • Information on how to apply for biometrics and where to give biometrics.

Change of conditions

  • Information on how to change the conditions of your study permit.

Co-op work permit

  • Information on the eligibility, conditions and application process of a co-op work permit.

Creating an online IRCC secure account

  • Step by step resource on how to create an IRCC secure account.

Extending your Study Permit

  • Information on eligibility and how to extend your study permit.

Immigration FAQ’s for faculty and staff

  • Frequently asked questions from faculty and staff with regards to students immigration status.

Inviting friends or family to Canada

  • Information on how to invite your friends or family to Canada.

Pathways to Permanent Residency

  • Overview of the most accessible pathways to permanent residency for international students.

Post-Graduation Work Permit

  • Information on the eligibility and how to apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP).

Submitting a web form for applications processed in Canada

  • Step by step resource on how to submit a webform through the IRCC website.

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

  • Information on how to apply for a temporary resident visa (TRV).

Working on and off campus

  • Information on eligibility and conditions for working on and off campus.

If you plan to stay in Canada to continue your studies beyond the validity of your current study permit, you will need to apply to extend your study permit. You should begin the process to extend your study permit about three months before its expiry and no more than six months before its expiry.

You need to extend your study permit before the expiration date written on your study permit. Providing you submit your study permit application before the expiration date, you will have ‘implied status’ which means you can continue to study while you wait for a decision.

To learn more about how to extend your study permit, please refer to the Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.  You can extend your study permit online and can check the processing times before submitting your application.

You may also refer to the information sheet on Extending your Study Permit. If you have any questions around this, you can visit the Langara Global office and speak with a licensed immigration advisor.

Regular Studies Students (University Transfer/Career/PDD)

You need an official letter to confirm your student status at Langara College.

Study Permit Extension Letter

Continuing Studies Students

Continuing Studies Study Permit Extension requests can be sent by email to Include as the email subject “Study Permit Extension | Student ID”.  In the body of the email, please indicate the following:

  • Your full name
  • Student ID number
  • Date of expiration for your current study permit
  • Confirmation that you have paid your $1,500 commitment fees for the upcoming semester.


LEAP Study Permit Extension requests can be sent to

If you have any general questions about the process to extend your study permit, please speak with an International Student Coordinator or email

Please note that the Langara Global office cannot complete forms on your behalf.

It is your responsibility to know and understand the International Student Immigration Regulations. For more information about the Regulations, please refer to the  Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

Many open-enrolment programs have a designated semester break. Continuing Studies programs, many Certificate programs, and Post-Degree Diploma (PDD) programs do not have scheduled breaks.

Here is the list of programs with scheduled breaks.  If you are uncertain whether your program qualifies for a scheduled break, please consult your International Student Coordinator.

What is a scheduled break?

A scheduled semester break is defined as a break from full-time studies. This means a student can take 0-2 classes or remain a full-time student during the break.  A scheduled break must be taken within the calendar year, either in the fall (September to December), spring (January to April) or summer (May to August) semesters, if the student remains enrolled as a full-time student in the semester preceding and the semester following the break. Students on Academic Suspension are not eligible for a scheduled break.

Langara College designates scheduled breaks during the following periods:

  • The last day of the final exam date until the start date of the next semester
  • Break between semesters
  • Reading Break
  • Scheduled Semester Break – one of either the Fall, Spring or Summer semesters.

Commitment Fees during Scheduled Breaks
International students are not required to pay the commitment fee of $1500 if they are not studying during their scheduled break. If your commitment fee is already charged and you have not activated your registration please contact your International Student Coordinator (ISC).

Students who are studying during their scheduled break are required to pay the $1500 commitment fee and activate their registration.

Full-time vs. part-time studies
Langara defines full-time studies as nine academic credits* or more including pre-requisite classes that are pass or fail. International students registered in a co-op placement or a work-term are considered full-time.  Students studying in their last semester of study are considered full-time regardless of the number of credits registered.

A student that is enrolled in less than nine credit hours, outside a designated scheduled break period, is considered part-time.

* N’s and W’s do not count towards academic credit. A grade of S, F, or U does not carry academic credit but does contribute to full-time status.  Please click here for more information on grades and notations.

Working during scheduled breaks
As per Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) regulations, students are eligible to work full-time hours during designated scheduled breaks.

Compliance reporting to IRCC
Langara College is required to report to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on the enrolment status of all international students. Only students who are eligible for a scheduled break and have completed the following form prior to the regular semester withdrawal deadline in the academic semester they are wanting their break, will be reported to IRCC as on an “Academic Break”.

Students who do not meet the eligibility requirements of a scheduled break, do not complete this form, or complete this form after the regular semester withdrawal deadline will be reported as either part-time, or not registered.

Back to Langara Global Back to Langara Global