New international students can apply to be matched with an i-Guide mentor before the start of their first semester. Once you are matched with a mentor, an International Student Coordinator will provide you with contact information and invite you to a welcome social and reception so you can meet in person.
Students who request an i-Guide mentor are expected to agree to the program expectations and to participate in the program for the full semester. This means being willing to meet, or have direct contact, with your mentor at least once per week. The mentors have committed to being your partner for the semester and they are looking forward to helping you, getting to know you, and becoming your friend.
Tips for a successful partnership:
- Your mentor is here to help you become more independent and comfortable with life at Langara and in Vancouver.
- Your mentor does not know absolutely everything about Langara, Vancouver, or Canada. He or she may not be able to answer all the questions you ask, but will try to show you how to find the information you need.
- Your mentor is neither a “taxi driver” nor a “tutor”. Ask for help but remember that your mentor signed up to be your friend – not your personal assistant.
- You do not need to do everything your mentor suggests. If you are not interested or available, thank your mentor for the offer and say no or suggest another activity.
- International Student Coordinators are available to assist you if there are concerns or difficulties with your mentor. We do our best to find a suitable match between mentees and mentors, but occasionally the partnership does not work out as expected. In this case we will all work together to find a solution to the problem.
- Feel free to continue the friendship you and your mentor have developed after the one semester commitment is over.
You will meet your i-Guide mentor during a welcome social and reception at the beginning of the semester. The date, time, and location of this event will be communicated to you by email once you have been matched with a mentor. This meeting is mandatory if you sign up for the program! Make sure to mark your calendar and set a reminder on your phone once you have been informed of the date and time of the reception. If for some reason you are unable to attend the meeting, please make arrangements with an International Student Coordinator.