In the last edition of Compass, Facilities provided an update on renovations, upgrades, and planning. During the summer season, we will continue working on the projects in anticipation of the fall semester start. Here are some highlights of the renovation projects and what you can expect over the course of this summer.
We will continue to provide Facilities-related updates on a regular basis on The Langara Post under Operational Updates. Operational Updates can be easily found by searching for the tags “Operational Updates” and/or “Facilities”.
Office Relocations (completed)
Many offices have moved as we continue renovations and enhancements across campus. Please note the following completed office relocations:
- Institutional Research has relocated to their new offices (B229-232) on the top floor of B Building
- Facilities has moved into their temporary office in the portable closest to B Building (B998)
- The Senior Leadership team has relocated to their new offices on the main floor of B Building
- Lost & Found has relocated to the front counter of Registrar & Enrolment Services in T Building
Here are some highlights of the renovations currently in progress and upcoming:
- As part of Phase 2 B Building Renovations, construction has begun on the main floor of B Building to create office space for Communications & Marketing and the Langara College Foundation. Anticipated completion is early August.
- Educational Technology will be moving to a new portable, which will be installed next to the Library. The project is scheduled for July.
- A section of Information Technology will be moving into portable B999. The move is scheduled for September.
Upgrades and Planning
The following activities will be taking place over the summer:
- Acoustic ceiling upgrade in T530
- SIF project fan system upgrades in A Building
- Final installation of new dust extraction system and design for a make-up air unit in the Fine Arts workshop
- Planning for classrooms in the vacated Chemistry space in A Building
- Planning underway for new Gathering Space location
- Motorcycle Parking will be relocated from the east side of the Library & Parkade to the west side by the Science & Technology Building before end of June. This is to accommodate the new portable being installed in July.
- Outdoor patio seating across from B153 will be opening shortly for students and employees to enjoy. No smoking please.
- Surrounded by green spaces, and with summer around the corner, pests such as rodents and insects are around. We can work together to prevent pests from accessing your work space. Visit our Pest Prevention webpage for tips on how to keep pests to a minimum.
New Facilities Website
The new facilities website is in the final stages of completion. When the site launches, you will be able to find the following information:
- Directory of Facilities team members and their areas of responsibility
- Workflow chart for Facilities requests
- Overview of current, upcoming, and completed projects
- Info on related policies and procedures, locks and keys, postering, signage requests, and furniture requests
- Notices and alerts
Please continue reporting any non-urgent facilities issues by emailing email@example.com or calling Reception or Security for urgent matter.