Support Our Students month is over for another year and on behalf of the Foundation and SOS committee, I want to thank everyone for their support. Each year, SOS celebrates our spirit of giving, the generosity of our employees, and the many things that we do as a community to foster student success and 2018 was another incredible year.
Since its return in 2016, Support Our Students continues to grow and we are overwhelmed by the passion and support that employees have for the College and its students. I feel so fortunate to be part of such a giving community!
There were so many highlights of the past month, but here’s a few key ones. Photos from this year’s SOS events are now available on Flickr.
- We celebrated over 435 unsung heroes with the Golden Apple Awards. In total, we received 905 nominations – almost doubling our number from last year.
- Langara Cooks sold out in its second year. Thank you to the eleven teams who served a spectacular range of dishes, we can’t wait to see what you have in store in 2019. Congratulations to our winning team from the Library.
- This year’s silent auction had over 100 items donated by our generous colleagues and partners, raising over $8,000 for students
- We had our second Langara Piggy Pageant, with 12 pigs competing for the crown. This year’s winners were:
– Miss Congeniality: Ori-Ham-I from Library and CAPER-BC
– 2nd runner-up: Pathway Pig – Faculty of Social Sciences & Management
– 1st runner-up: Juicy – Continuing Studies
– Winner: Science Piggy – Faculty of Science
- Plant Sale – more than 200 plants were sold
- Our Deans stepped up to the challenge, venturing out on the first Deans Walkathon around the Langara Golf Course
- Facilities helped us to secure four new scholarships and bursaries from College suppliers totalling over $6,000
In total, our events and activities this month raised over $12,500. And that’s only a small indication of the generosity of our community, we have also received a number of donations including twelve employees who have signed up as new monthly donors. Please consider joining our employee giving community. Your gift can make a real difference and all employee gifts are matched by the College, doubling the impact of your gift. Visit www.langara.ca/employee-giving to learn more.
Thank you again to everyone who joined us for SOS this March. And a huge thank you to our SOS committee members, we couldn’t have done it without you. We can’t wait for 2019!
Executive Director, Langara College Foundation
Director, College Advancement