Interested in open education? Apply for a $1,000 travel grant today!
About the conference…
2019 marks the 16th annual Open Education Conference (OpenEd). OpenEd is one of the leading open education conferences, attracting thousands of participants each year from across North America and beyond. It is known for sessions that encourage critical self-reflection, continually pushing the open education community to do better. With nine concurrent sessions at any given time, it offers something for everyone. See the 2019 program for details.
Why is Open Langara offering this travel grant?
Langara is the second heaviest user of open textbook among B.C. colleges and universities, but we want to take our participation in the open education community to the next level.
Instructors tell us that they strongly support the philosophy behind the open education movement, but struggle to find the time needed to incorporate elements of open into their teaching practice. We want to give one Langara instructor the opportunity to enjoy an immersive open education experience – to network with other educators from around the world, learn about current trends in the field, and hear from leading experts and advocates.
The foundation of open is sharing. In this spirit, we ask the recipient to:
- Write a reflective piece on their conference experience for The Langara Post;
- Co-host a workshop connected to a conference theme/experience of their choosing through the TCDC during the spring 2020 semester.
Who can apply?
We invite all Langara instructional faculty with an interest in open education to apply.
How do I apply?
To apply, please prepare a short (400 words or less) document detailing the following:
- Your name, home department, and current position with the College.
- Previous experience with open education (if any). Examples include: adopting or adapting an open textbook, creating an open educational resource (OER), or experimenting with open pedagogy/open educational practices.
- A description of: (1) your areas of interest in open education, and (2) the ways in which you anticipate conference attendance will impact your teaching practice.
Email your application to Open Langara (firstname.lastname@example.org) by September 20, 2019 at 5 pm. The grant recipient will be notified the following week.