In last month’s College Compass, Langara Facilities provided an overview of the many campus enhancement projects slated for the spring and summer. Here is the latest update for May.
We will continue to provide Facilities-related updates when the new College-wide employee newsletter debuts next month, and you can always check out Online By The Way to stay connected.
Here are some highlights of the renovation projects currently in progress:
- Phase 2 B Building renovations will begin shortly to create office space for Communications & Marketing and the Langara College Foundation. Anticipated completion is early August.
- We continue to convert vacated Nursing space into offices and classrooms for Continuing Studies’ Registered Massage Therapy program. Anticipated completion is late July.
- Room C014 is currently being renovated for a LEAP instructors’ workroom. Scheduled completion is mid-July.
- Theatre Arts will see new shower facilities and two new dance floors (A010 & S032) when summer renos are completed.
- T450 will be divided into two classrooms: (1) 40-seat and (1) 25-seat.
- Ed Tech will be relocated to a portable location in July.
As campus renovations are carried out, new energy efficient LED lighting will be incorporated into the upgrades.
Upgrades and Planning
The following activities will be taking place over the summer:
- Acoustic ceiling upgrade in T530
- SIF project fan system upgrades in A Building
- Final installation of new dust extraction system and design for a make-up air unit in the Fine Arts workshop
- Planning for classrooms in the vacated Chemistry space in A Building
- Planning underway for new Gathering Space location
To save energy and maintenance costs associated with aging equipment, Langara Facilities continues to upgrade the College’s exterior lighting to an energy efficient LED program.
- Senior Leadership Team relocates to their new offices on the main floor of B Building the week of May 15-19.
- New boardroom is now located in the SLT office space.
- New Makerspace now open (A268 and A268b)
- New employee license plate registration system is now in effect. Visit the Employee Parking page for info and FAQs.
- New recycling bins with more consistent signage are now available in B Building hallways with plans to expand to other areas. More details, including how you can provide feedback will be coming soon.
- To discourage hateful or discriminatory graffiti on campus, new anti-graffiti signs will be posted in washrooms in the coming weeks. If you can identify anyone who defaces College property, please call Security or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Just a friendly reminder that students and employees with disabilities, A/V Services, and Receiving personnel have elevator priority on campus. New elevator signage is coming soon. In the meantime, thank you for your consideration and cooperation.
- Because we are surrounded by green spaces, pests such as rodents and insects are inevitable. But we can work together to prevent pests from accessing your work space. Visit our Pest Prevention webpage for tips on how to keep pests to a minimum.
New Facilities Website Preview
We’ve been working with C&M to update our Facilities website. When the site launches, you’ll be able to find the following information:
- Directory of Facilities team members and their areas of responsibility
- Workflow chart for Facilities requests
- Overview of current, upcoming, and completed projects
- Info on related policies and procedures, locks and keys, postering, signage requests, and furniture requests
- Notices and alerts
Remember to continue reporting any non-urgent facilities issues by emailing email@example.com or calling Reception or Security for urgent matters.