As you are aware, the Langara campus went smoke free on May 1, 2018. This initiative was part of our Wellness Promotion strategy, People Services desire to create a working and learning environment that promotes the overall health and wellness of our entire community. If you haven’t had a chance to review our Smoke-Free Policy, please click on this link to learn more. As well, you can find additional information on the Human Resources web page, under Wellness Promotion, or just do a search for Smoke Free.
Last week the Smoke Free Committee met to evaluate the initiative; although we agreed there were a few aspects that we could improve upon, the committee believed we have had very positive feedback, and overall it has been a success. Areas for improvement discussed were:
- Additional signage;
- More communication to staff and students through the Langara Post and orientation;
- Provide additional supports (smoking cessation aids or classes) for staff and students;
- Increased monitoring of waste on campus.
The college continues to take a non-punitive and supportive approach to this initiative. Staff and students are asked to approach and remind individuals whom may not know we are smoke free. Comments can be as simple as….
- “Excuse me, are you aware that we are a smoke free campus?”
- “Hi, I thought I should let you know that Langara is a smoke free campus”
- “Did you know Langara is a smoke free campus as of May 2018?”
- “Thank you for respecting our smoke free policy that took effect on May 1st of this year”.
For more information or if you would like to provide any feedback to the Committee, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for contributing to the health and wellbeing of our campus.
Vice-President, People Services