Facilities update – December 2018
It’s been another busy year for Facilities. As the year draws to an end, we are working hard to reach renovation project targets before the holidays, while also preparing other areas for work that will begin early next year. Please continue to read the Operational Updates in The Langara Post to read the latest updates.
Highlights of 2018 and what you can expect in the new year:
- House Post installation: Langara College installed a house post in honour of Siem Henry Charles of the Musqueam Nation. The surrounding area also has new benches. The house post was officially raised on September 26, 2018.
- Solar panels project: Also in September, solar panels were installed on the roof of T Building, providing a source of renewable energy. This project was spearheaded by two Langara students and funded through the Langara College Sustainability Fund.
- Renovations of vacated Physics lab in A Building: Extensive renovations began in September 2017 to convert the vacated physics lab into new administrative offices. Phase 1 of the project saw development of offices for Organizational Risk Assessment and Institutional Research (now located in Room A353); Phase 2 began in September to develop offices for People Services. We are currently on schedule to have People Services move into their new offices located in A350 by the end of January 2019.
- Renovations of vacated Biology labs in A Building: Renovations in the vacated biology labs began at the same time as the physics labs. This area is being converted into spaces for classrooms and a peer-supported learning area. The new rooms will be ready for January classes.
- ERP project: The ERP project officially began in October and is well underway. Facilities continues to prepare spaces and carry out moves for resources as required.
- Studio 58 dressing rooms: New dressing rooms with make-up stations are being developed for Studio 58 in Room A063. The project is ongoing, and anticipated to be complete bye end of March 2019.
- Counselling Offices: Upgrades to the Counselling Offices began in November in order to provide additional office spaces to better support students. The target completion date is set for early January.
- A/V services conversion: Renovations are scheduled in the A/V Services space with the goal to expand the Psychology department offices. The project is anticipated to begin in January with a target completion in March 2019.
- Other minor renovation projects: Upgrades to the International Education and Homestay areas, the 2nd floor of C Building for EdTech and TCDC, and Psychology lab renovations are being planned to meet the needs of growing resources. Designs are being developed in December and January, with construction planned for the summer of 2019.
- A Building roofing upgrades: Design and tendering is complete, and construction has begun for the roofing upgrades, and is anticipated to continue through April 2019.
- RBC On Campus Hub: Opened on Aug 25, the RBC kiosk provides financial support and literacy to our students. The temporary kiosk is currently in T Building, with a new permanent location scheduled to be open in A Building early in the new year.
As we continue to work on these major projects in addition to many smaller maintenance and renewal projects, some communications may be delayed. If you have not heard from us on a request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the meantime, remember to continue reporting any non-urgent facilities issues by emailing email@example.com or calling the Facilities Reception desk (local 5511 or “0” on campus) or Security (local 5270 or 604.562.1011) for urgent matters.
Reminder: The College will be closed from Dec 22-Jan 1. The campus re-opens Jan 2, 2019.
We wish you safe and happy holidays.
The Facilities team